Tags

,

I decided to join in with Robyn in her Frugal Friday post again. Head on over and take a look at what she is up to this week.

There has been a lot of talk in the papers this week about the amount of food wasted in the world today. A study claims that up to 50% of all food produced is wasted.  I hear that lots of food is thrown away by supermarkets every day. It really upsets me to think that supermarkets are throwing food away whilst thousands of people in the UK are resorting to help from Foodbanks. I applaud organisations such as Pret a Manger who give their unused food to homeless charities at the end of each day rather than throwing it away. Sad to read though that only 90% of their shops are part of the scheme. The other 10% still looking for charities who can sign up to long term collections. If you know of any charity that might be interested then check out the information here 

I try to buy only as much food as I need and often turn sad looking vegetables into soup and for use as bases in stews. I still feel that I could do so much more though. So this year I am going to aim to buy less,  use everything up and be more creative.

I haven’t been too well this week and I often turn to comfort food when I am feeling poorly. This week though I haven’t even been up to standing in the kitchen and cooking   and so I have been waited on by my lovely other half. He is a great cook but not very confident or adventurous and so I looked up a few of my old recipes for him to work on.This is one of my favourite recipes which I have adapted from several over the years. I am afraid that I rarely do measurements so this is a bit hit and miss. Use your own judgment and adapt it as much as you like but I would love to hear of any variations.

Ingredients

  • 1 large butternut squash
  • 1 aubergine
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 inch root ginger
  • teaspoon cinammon
  • teaspoon cumin
  • cup of raisins
  • 1 onion
  • 1 celery
  • couscous

butternut squash

Method

  • cut squash in half, scoop out seeds and score across flesh
  • roast in oven for about 30 mins
  • Remove from the oven and scoop flesh from the skin

IMG_2484

 

  • Meanwhile chop up root ginger and onion
  • heat oil in a frying pan
  • add cumin and cinammon to the oil and fry off
  • add ginger
  • add onions and celery to the pan and fry off
  • add the aubergine
  • add the butternut squash flesh
  • add the raisins
  • fry together for about 10 minutes

IMG_2483

  • Take the butternut squash skins and fill with the mixture
  • Place back into the oven and bake for 10 minutes (add cheese if desired)

IMG_2485

Meanwhile make the couscous by placing couscous into a bowl, cover with twice the volume of stock, add lemon zest and coriander (or flavours of your choice) and leave to one side (covered).

Serve squash with couscous.

I am sorry for the pictures, it doesn’t look as appetising as it tastes. I haven’t worked out the actual costs but the butternut squash cost 79p, one cup of couscous taken from a box of couscous at 99p (probably about 35p worth) raisins from a pack that cost 59p lemon zest and lemon juice from a  lemon out of a bag on offer in Aldi at 69p for 6, celery was in the bottom of the fridge as was the onion (I only had half left so that did the trick).

It was rather a nice meal and cost very little, feeding two with couscous left over to make a couscous salad for tomorrows lunch.

 

Advertisements